Seit 1985 lebt und arbeitet Paola Telesca in Berlin - "Galerie+Atelier Bianco A Nero"
Paola Telesca lives and works in Berlin. Her work includes drawing, photography and installation. She works thematically in cycles and series and her work is conceptual.
The artist has had the opportunity to live in both West- and East-Berlin. Four intense years of life in the German Democratic Republic left many impressions and from this experience Telesca has created a series of conceptual works dealing with East and West where she approaches and analyses aspects of the economy and its associated sense of time. The artist shows, among other artworks, a photographic approach, a zooming from soldiers and past newspapers through backyards and windows into a kitchen with patterned wallpapers.
In another work headlight rings of Trabant cars become watches that describe a new concept of time and production. This
series of works titled 'My GDR' is a testimony of changing time and history.
The perception of time and movement, its optical awareness and the interaction of the viewer play an important role in Telesca’s installations. In a series of works titled 'Give me a Swing' and 'Rotunde - Room laboratory' the artist examines a general sequence of movement. She works with speed, changing tempos and opposite directions; she plays with the perception of time by fixating on rest points, creating equilibria and dissolution phenomena - a game with the visual perception and viewing habits of the audience.
While „travelling through the perception of movement“ Telesca has also found an important inspiration in dance. The artist likes to work „live“ with dancers and tries to adapt her lines to the pace of their actual movement through reducing the number of strokes. Whilst drawing, Telesca concentrates on the movements of the dancer until she experiences herself the feeling of dancing. She describes it as a "stenographic recording of movement and space on the paper“. The resulting series of works bears the title: „I drew. Let her dance. Until the music picked me up“.
An additional „stenography of the line“ is created in the series „Blind Drawing“. The Italian artist creates a whole work of art with just a few lines and dashes. The line is clear, decisive, spontaneous and self-confident. The definition of the stroke in its minimalistic form creates a narrative structure.
In the series „Piercing the Mask“ Paola Telesca continues to explore body movements and focuses on the expressive language of the Japanese dance, Butoh - the dance of the soul. She explores the variety of „images“ displayed in this particular dance. The emotions, vibrations and tensions in the surrender to the dance offer the artist the possibility to catch, penetrate and interpret human fears; the darker and the „grey“, naked side to each human being. These expressions are partially serious, fearful, „grey“ and insecure, and yet they represent beauty to her. „They are a state that constantly changes, a flow in which nothing is constant, where two polarities seek a balance, a harmony. An internal struggle, a duality; the polarization of black and white, of emotions and feelings that search for a balance which comes and goes ... and yet it is never permanently there“. Contrasts here are strong, defined, hard. The surfaces dissolve themselves in fine lines and directions. They represent for the artist the memory; the traces of an ever-changing condition. This series is produced in collaboration with the Butoh dancer Makiko Tominaga and the saxophonist Marcel Schmid. She finds here an artistic universe that she explores with joy. These works invite to meditation and questioning.
Telesca's photographs show a gradation scale ranging from black through all greyscale to white. Here again two polarities play a role: the yin and yang; the positive and the negative; in a game of mirroring and reversing. The interpolated figures affirm one another in expressing the polarity of things, the two sides of the coin creating new images and associations.
Since 2017 Paola Telesca has been working on the expression and gestures of hands. Hands have no face and their language is universal. In their gestures she finds emotions like pain, need and greed. These observations led to the series "Need&Greed" - two series of photos and one film. Water and shadows are important elements in these very last works: water as an unexplored element of nature, in constant motion, and shadows of hands moved by the currents of water, swaying and rocking like seaweed. These souls have no graves. They rise like
whispering voices from the depths of the sea aiming to create moments of reflection. They do not want to be forgotten.
This year 2019 the artist is working on a new series of artworks also dealing with the „Refugees“ thematic. This series is titled: quoting Hannah Arendt - "And
nobody knows who I am! - The lost dignity". The starting point is Arendt's essay "We Refugees" (1943) and a reflection on the „newcomers", „immigrants“ so as Arendt prefers to call
Telesca shows touching works of art that interlace music, dance, movement and perception searching for a universe of poetry and a new magic.
born in Rome, Italy
2000-2001 multimedia conception, Academy for Digital Media, Berlin
1996 Master's degree, Universität der Künste, Berlin (UdK)
1989-1995 Universität der Künste, Berlin (UdK)
1987-1988 Kunsthochschule Weissensee, Berlin
1980-1983 Scuola Interpreti e Traduttori, Rome (Italian, English, Spanish)
Awards and prizes - Miscellaneous
2019- Artist by Saatchi
- artwork selected for PhotoPlace Gallery’s juried exhibition, "Water 2019" (Juror: Elizabeth Avedon) ℗
2018 - Best of
2017 - ND AWARDS PHOTO CONTEST - honorable mention in fine art: conceptual category
2010 - TEMPELHOF-SCHÖNEBERGER ART PRIZE, ZEITges(ch)ehen - Town Hall Gallery, Berlin
2000 - 1st ART PRIZE - 4th JESTEBURG ART WEEK, Jesteburg, Germany ℗
- Exhibition - INTERNATIONAL ART AWARD, Kunsthalle werkP2, Hürth/Cologne ℗
1995 - project funding, Senate for Cultural Affairs, Berlin, Hausblick, SKULPTUREN PARK, Tacheles
1993 - Art prize - competition "Kunst im Görlitzer Park", Performance and film project, Grünflächenamt and Kunstamt Kreuzberg, Berlin
- LOOVAS Projects - München
- May/June: Artspring 2020 - Bibliothek Janusz Korczak, Berlin
- ARTBOX.Project Barcelona, Spain - postponed to October due to Covid 19
- ARTBOX.SCREEN in the ARTBOX.GALLERY Zurich
- Rathaus Pankow, Berlin
- juried Exhibition - NACHT und TAG 2019', Gerichtshöfe, Berlin
Guided tours: MAXI BROECKING: (journalist, curator Zellermayer Gallery, Gallery Friedmann-Hahn, Scope Basel, Art Cologne, Art Karlsruhe,
Art Consultant; ANDREAS
HERRMANN: mianki.Gallery (Berlin); TOBIAS WACHTER: Gallery Irrgang, Berlin, gallery
- PhotoPlace Gallery - Exhibition: July 18 - August 10, 2019 - (Juror: Elizabeth Avedon), Middlebury, Vermont Gallery ℗
- Mitglied bei der Gedok Berlin
- MUSEUM PANKOW, Berlin
- ARTspring 2018, Berlin
- Assistant at Galerie Joachim Pohl, Berlin
- ND AWARDS PHOTO CONTEST - honorable mention in fine art: conceptual category
- ARTspring 2017, Berlin ℗
- Member of the „Salon der Zeichner*innen“, Berlin
- "Postinternet.art" - The Wrong Biennial
- Artist by ARTQUISITE, Munich
- Tischlein deck dich, GALERIE ARTIST-HOMES, Berlin
- IMPROabend - Butoh Dance, Saxophone, Projections - Tominaga/Schmid/Mehnert/Telesca
- conception of the exhibition at Mail Art Archiv Hellmundt
Foundation of the Galerie Bianco A Nero, Berlin-Pankow
member of the artist association Kunst Etagen Pankow e.V. (KEP), Berlin
- TEMPELHOF-SCHÖNEBERGER ART PRIZE, ZEITges(ch)ehen - Town Hall Gallery, Berlin
„Anonyme Zeichner“ No. 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
- Galerie 14, Berlin
KLINIKUM BENJAMIN FRANKLIN, Berlin ℗
- Jury member, „JESTEBURGER KUNSTWOCHE“, Jesteburg, Germany
- MUSEUM HEIMAT, Jesteburg, Germany ℗
- 1st ART PRIZE - 4th JESTEBURG ART WEEK, Jesteburg, Germany ℗
- INTERNATIONAL ART AWARD, Kunsthalle werkP2, Hürth/Cologne ℗
- „… UND AB DIE POST“, 3rd FESTIVAL OF YOUNG EXPERIMENTAL ART, Postfuhramt, Berlin
- Galerie Nagornaya, Moskau - Галерея Нагорная, Москва
- „… UND AB DIE POST“, 2rd FESTIVAL OF YOUNG EXPERIMENTAL ART, Postfuhramt, Berlin
- Galerie KunstRaum, Berlin
- Kunsta(u)ktion 3, Hackesche Höfe / Kleiner Festsaal, Berlin
- „… UND AB DIE POST“, 1rd FESTIVAL OF YOUNG EXPERIMENTAL ART, Postfuhramt, Berlin
- „Schwindel“, GALERIE WEIßER ELEPHANT, Berlin
- art action and exhibition „Kunst aus dem Waggon - Kunst Stationen“, BAHNHOF WESTEND, Berlin
- „El caimán“, GALERIE AM PRATER, Berlin
- project funding, Senate for Cultural Affairs, Berlin,
- Hausblick, SKULPTUREN PARK, Tacheles
- Aktionsgalerie, Weltall Erde Mensch, Berlin
- Ein Spiel ist ein Spiel ist ein Spiel (16mm film, 7 min.) Premiere, BETHANIEN HAUS, Berlin
- Buch und Kunst, VILLA OPPENHEIM, Berlin
- Tutor, Women's Media Pool and Media Workshop, Universität der Künste, Berlin (UdK)
- S-Bahn Project Südring - Kunst aus dem Waggon - Art Action of the UdK in cooperation with the Karl Hofer
Gesellschaft and the Reichsbahn (P)
- Kunst-Stationen, BAHNHOF WESTEND, Berlin
- 24. Freie Berliner Kunstausstellung (FBK), ICC Messegelände, Berlin ℗
- ART PRIZE „KUNST IM GÖRLITZER PARK“, Berlin
- Hand Luggage, BARLETT SCHOOL OF ARCHITECTURE, London ℗
- 23. Freie Berliner Kunstausstellung (FBK), ICC Messegelände, Berlin ℗
- Galerie im Pferdestall, Kulturbrauerei, Berlin - "Bin kein Tourist, ich wohne hier"
- 22. Freie Berliner Kunstausstellung (FBK), ICC Messegelände, Berlin ℗
- BERLINER SPARKKASSE, Berlin ℗
- Residence in East Berlin, former German Democratic Republic
- "... mir ist so Dada im Kopf" - MusenTritt -
- "Internationaler Kunstpreis 2000" - Ausstellungskatalog
Kunstvereinhürth e.V. im WerkP2, Kalscheurener Str. 19, 50354 Hürth (Seite 50-51)
- "Kunstwoche Jesteburg 2000", Ausstellungskatalog Kunstwoche Jesteburg e.V.
- "Kunstwoche Jesteburg 2002", Ausstellungskatalog Kunstwoche Jesteburg e.V.
- "Grosse Steglitzer Kunstausstellung 2002", Universitätsklinikum Benjamin Franklin
herausgegeben vom Bezirksamt Steglitz-Zehlendorf, Berlin
- "... und ab die Post 1999", aktions galerie, Ausstellung im Postfuhramt, Berlin
- "ZEIT-LOS", 2001, Ausstellungskatalog, Dorfkirche Jakobshagen
- "Görlitzer Bahnhof - Görlitzer Park" Berlin-Kreuzberg
SupportEdition ISBN3-927869-09-0 (Seite 124 – Projekt "Ein Spiel ist ein Spiel ist ein Spiel")
- "Kunst aus dem Waggon - Kunststationen"
Die S-Bahnprojekte der Werkstatt SPIEL + BÜHNE, Fachbereich 6 der UdK Berlin
(Hochschule der Künste Berlin/S-Bahn Berlin GmbH/Karl-Hofer-
Gesellschaft/Deutsche Bahn AG)
- "Klasse Möbus", Ausstellungskatalog November 1993, UdK Berlin
- "Plastiken - Zeichnungen" (1991), Berliner Sparkasse, Berlin
1. Tunesien - Reiseskizzen, 1993 (Super-8, s/w, 10 Min.) *
2. Ein Spiel ist ein Spiel ist ein Spiel, 1993 (16mm, Farbe, 7 Min.)
3. Hacia, 1994 (Dokumentation auf S-VHS, Farbe, 11 Min.)**
4. Hausblick, 1995 (Dokumentation auf S-VHS, Farbe, 6 Min.)***
5. Kunst-Stationen, 1996 (Dokumentation auf S-VHS, Farbe) *
6. Gib mir Schwung - Ruth und David, 1996 (Dokumentation auf S-VHS, Farbe, 5 Min.)****
7. Akatombo (Butoh-Tanz von Makiko Tominaga), 1997 (Dokumentation auf S-VHS, Farbe, 1 St.)*
8. Gib mir Schwung - Schwindel, 1997-1998 (Dokumentation auf Betacam, Farbe, 5 Min.)***
* Kamera: Paola Telesca
** Kamera: Nicolás Hammerschlag
*** Kamera: Francisco Domínguez
**** Kamera: Juliette Cazanave, Ciro Morello
Stand: January 2020
Urheberrechten: paola telesca
Strictly necessary cookies guarantee functions without which this website would not function as intended. As a result these cookies cannot be deactivated. These cookies are used exclusively by this website and are therefore first party cookies. This means that all information stored in the cookies will be returned to this website.
Functional cookies enable this website to provide you with certain functions and to store information already provided (such as registered name or language selection) in order to offer you improved and more personalized functions.
Performance cookies gather information on how a web page is used. We use them to better understand how our web pages are used in order to improve their appeal, content and functionality.
Marketing / Third Party Cookies originate from external advertising companies (among others) and are used to gather information about the websites visited by you, in order to e.g. create targeted advertising for you.